What happens when (just two months after meeting) a Baptist preacher's son and small-town pastor's daughter surprisingly discover they've committed the ultimate faux pas? Now it's a journey of finding out what it is to love a little baby surprise and what to do about this new husband.




Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Big News!!

According to the childhood saying it is "love and marriage, and then a baby carriage", but since Yohan and I beat to the tune of our own drum we decided to mix it up a bit.  We unexpectedly found ourselves expecting, which was life changing for both of us.  And somehow, even though neither of us had been considering marriage up until that point (much less had the talk about being boyfriend/girlfriend), we decided to get married.

Perplexing as it is, Yohan and I did not love each other when we chose to make a lifetime commitment in marriage.  I can't explain it, and I don't expect others to understand it, but for us it was right.  My wedding was one of the most incredible and fun days of my life.  Never once did I second guess my decision to marry Yohan, not in the time leading up to the wedding nor the day itself. 

My parents only found out about our quick-to-happen wedding about six days before the ceremony.  Originally we were going to run off and get married, then tell them afterwords of our marriage and expecting baby, but it didn't felt right.  So, like any good child (whose job is obviously to worry her parents) we decided to shock them all at once.  They learned all the news at once the week before.  We had no idea how it would turn out, but it did turn out, and it turned out great!  My wedding day was fun, and all our family was able to quickly shift their week around and make it to our Thursday afternoon wedding.

I was relaxed and happy and excited on our wedding day.  I always thought I would've been nervous and stressed on my wedding day, but I felt the exact opposite.  I got ready with my sisters, and we all did our hair and makeup together.
I spend my last few minutes before the ceremony with my mom and umma (Yohan's mom and the Korean word for mom) as they helped me put on my gloves and finish the last minute makeup touch-ups. 


The wedding was beautiful and intimate.


A little time has passed, and somewhere in between the days my feelings for Yohan have matured and deepened.  I love being with him and thinking about our life and all the future adventures we'll have is exciting.  Soooooo, on to the big news!

Both Yohan and I had friends and family who were concerned about the fact that we were not in love, but today is different!  This morning Yohan told me he loved me and I told him back.  I've known I loved Yohan for a while now, and he was feeling the same, but it felt wonderful to actually have said it today.  I've said it to him in my head for a while and telepathically been transporting my love to him for some time, but I'm so happy we can say it out loud. 

So I guess it's not always "love and marriage, and a baby carriage".  Sometimes it is all jumbled, and wonderful just the same.
P.S......I'm the first girl Yohan had ever told he loves.  Aren't I a lucky and special gal!

1 comment:

  1. Hey baby, one thing I can definitely say is we are far from conventional, but that's one of the many things I love about us and you. Think it went something like this:

    "tons of fun and marriage, and a baby carriage, and a tons more fun to come"

    Love ya baby!

    ReplyDelete